Summer is finally here! With the fourth of July right around the corner, what better time than now to talk about summer BBQs? BBQs are a great way to get together with your family and friends to enjoy the beautiful weather. Often, these gatherings feature a variety of dishes that everyone contributes.
If you have PCOS, you can still enjoy summer BBQs. Consider following the MyPlate model of eating to control your portion sizes and get all of the nutrition your body needs. You can even offer to coordinate what people will bring to the event to ensure that PCOS friendly foods will be there!
What are PCOS friendly BBQ foods? Lean meats such as chicken, fish, or lean cuts of beef; whole grains such as whole grain buns or whole grain pasta salad; plenty of fruits and vegetables, and healthy fats such as olive oil-based salad dressing! The most important thing to remember is to have a “balanced plate” with protein, carbohydrate, and fiber-rich foods.
Here are some tips!
- Scope out all of the food before you start to make your plate to avoid having a plate that is overflowing
- Take small portions to try all of the foods you want, without eating too much
- Load up half of your plate with fruits and veggies. Try grilling vegetables like zucchini or portabella mushrooms and fruit like pineapple or peaches
- Opt for fiber-rich whole grains, such as a whole grain bun or quinoa salad
- Bring a dish that you know is PCOS friendly, such as a bean salad with your favorite vegetables and a lite dressing. Or, considering making kebabs (skewers with lean meats and vegetables) to grill or fruit kebabs with yogurt dip for dessert
- Stay Hydrated! Drink plenty of water or try other refreshing calorie-free beverages featured in our recent blog
When you are finished eating, keep yourself busy so you are less likely to be tempted by more food. Socialize with your friends and family or try being active! You can bring a volleyball, soccer ball, Frisbee or other activity to the BBQ to keep you and everyone else moving. If your BBQ is taking place on the beach, consider going for a swim.