Winter Health Tips
It always makes good sense to take good care of yourself, but during this time of year it’s particularly important to do all you can to reduce your risk of catching the flu. Winter is the time of year when flu germs are lurking all around us. That’s why it’s especially important to be prepared – so you can stay well and not miss a lot of school or fun activities with your friends. What can you do to stay healthy during the winter season?
Here are 7 tips to get you started:
- GET A FLU SHOT as soon as possible.
- Wash your hands frequently — this is the #1 way to stop the spread of germs.
- Sneeze into your elbow instead of your hands.
- Avoid hanging out with people who are sick. Wait until they are germ-free to lower the chance of catching their germs.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated.
- Eat balanced meals and healthy snacks. Include lots of fruits and veggies. Healthy food (with lots of vitamins and nutrients) enhances your immune system, which helps your body fight off infection.
- Get at least 9 hours of sleep each night to avoid getting run down.
This entry is from the Winter 2011 edition of the CYWH Teen Talk Newsletter. Download the full pdf here.