P90X – Extreme Home Fitness Plan
P90X guarantees that you can be in the best shape of your life in just 90 days if you commit to their program. You may be wondering, what is P90X all about? Is P90X a good choice for me? In addition to describing the basics, I’m going to give you my thoughts on what I think is good (and not-so-good) about this international phenomenon.
P90X is a program that includes workout and nutrition plans. The workout plan is broken down into 12 different workouts, including a full body workout, Yoga, and Plyometrics. The nutrition plan is broken down into three levels that vary in the amount of carbohydrates they allow. The P90X nutrition plan also promotes whole grains, fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and lean protein sources. The most important take home message of the program is that if you’re motivated, keep it up!
- You can do it at home. Since you don’t need to go to a gym, you don’t have to pay for a membership, take the time to get there, or wait in line for machines.
- You can have privacy. You can do the program at your own pace, so you don’t have to compare yourself to others or worry about what other people are thinking.
- It’s motivational. The videos are encouraging guides that you can follow many times and can rewind in case you miss any instructions.
- It pairs fitness and nutrition. P90X promotes both physical fitness and nutrition, which is necessary when managing your weight and health.
- Good nutrition plan. The nutrition plan promotes great eating habits such as cooking with recipes including fruits and vegetables, having whole grains, and eating lean protein.
- Quick fix? A 90 day program may make P90X sound like a quick fix, but good health is a lifetime commitment.
- You might not be physically ready. Someone who doesn’t exercise regularly won’t be able to complete all of these workouts at the level that they are asking. This can be intimidating.
- Big time commitment. You need an hour every day for the workouts alone. Additionally, you need time to buy, prepare, and cook food. Can you fit all this into your schedule?
- It’s expensive. This program offers supplemental bars and powders which are expensive and unnecessary. Focus on eating the whole foods they promote instead.
- Not designed for teens. This program was designed for adults, not teens. Even though this plan can be personalized, it takes a nutrition professional (i.e. a registered dietitian, exercise physiologist), to truly understand what you need to reach your health goals.